Thursday, January 7, 2010

Rambling

I love beaches. I have no idea why. Whenever I try to escape from boredom by going into my head I put myself on an island somewhere. Maybe it's because most of my best memories were made at beaches. I don't think I've ever not been happy at one. Unless you were homeless and starving, I don't think it would be possible to be sad at a beach. Even if you were, you could sleep on one and have a much better time of it than if you slept on the hard ground somewhere else.
Today for some reason when I put myself on a beach and it was at night. This was weird because it's usually in the day when I go to my "happy spot." It was also different because it was by a lake and not on an island like it usually is. There was a house behind me with all the lights on but I was alone, sitting in the sand, watching the sun as it sank below the horizon. It was such a strong image, I could see it so clearly. But that's all it was, just me on a beach. Usually stuff happens in these things, but this was almost like a photograph.
Still it was peaceful and serene, I really wished I was there.
Am I the only one that has these happy places? I've been going to mine since I was in high school, but it used to be the room in the old apartment I lived in as a kid. The sun was always streaming through the windows and I had all my old toys back and my Shel Silverstein books. I still go there sometimes, but it doesn't have as much draw anymore. It always weirded me out that the door of the room never opened. If I managed to get it open, would I be greeted by a weirdly silent person-less world? Or would there just be a dark void beyond it? I could see out the windows, but those could just have been fake. I like the idea of an island because it's a small area, but it's big enough to run around in and explore. Plus I put a house on my island that's pretty cool. I'll have to draw a blueprint of it someday.
Sometime I'll have to draw a map of my island too. I probably should since I'm probably going to start setting stories on it pretty soon.
Alright, I'm going to bed. Would you guys want to see a quick map sketch of what this island that I've been building in my head looks like?

3 comments:

Justin said...

I love beaches too and would love to see the sketch.

By the way, I've been getting into Alejandro Jodorowsky lately. I've come to the conclusion that he is the greatest genius who ever lived in all of Mexican cinema.

Oh, and do you want me to post my drawings on my blog?

Kurdt said...

Alright, I'll get on it, using my sweet MS Paint skillz.

Hmmm, never heard of him. I haven't gotten into Mexican cinema much other than a few Luis Bunuel films.

Sure, I'd love to see some of your drawings!

Justin said...

El Topo is a good introduction. Jodorowsky described it as "a portrait of his soul", and it's a western.

I'll post some drawings.