Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Stop Having Boring Tuna, Stop Having a Boring Life

I've heard it said that the worst crime a piece of art can commit is being boring. Art is supposed to elicit a reaction, good or bad, and if it doesn't then it fails and fades away.
In the same vein, unless you're this woman, then the things you remember most are probably going to be either really pleasent or when something really bad happened. Or something really weird I suppose. Lets face it though, most of life is pretty boring, which is one reason why I think art is so important.
I think most people are pretty boring too. There's a path that you're expected to take to succeed in life. You're born, you grow up, go to school, go to college, get a job, get married, have kids, grow old, die. I'm not saying it's bad, but for me it just seems so dull. Most of the people who went down in history (or infamy) were able to buck the system somehow and live their own lives. But did they realize their whole lives that they were marching to the beat of a different drum, or did they slowly come to the realization that they were bound for something greater?
Well, anyways, I've come to the realization that most of the people I work with everyday are boring. They're also pretty damn fake and back-stabby too, but mostly boring. My job is also dull to the fucking max. It's really been dragging me down lately. I was able to finagle a day off last Friday and I went to take a nap. I woke up scared a short time later because I had a dream about work. Most nightmares don't bother me at all but that really made my heart pound. My brain can't come up with anything else? No wonder I've had such bad writer's block lately. It's sucking the fucking life out of me.
But writing about it does make me feel a little better. All of you are interesting people and I do like connecting with you, even if it's just through a computer. No, wait, is that creepy? I didn't mean it that way, I just meant that I don't have many people that I can talk openly to. And thus, I have my Internet friends. It's sort of like talking to myself except I know that some people are actually reading it.
So heres a few things that have been on my mind lately:

2. Routine. I'm so sick of routine! I hate doing the same thing every day in and day out for months and months. Sometimes I imagine that my computer blows up or that aliens crash land their ship through the ceiling. Or even that I get stuck in the elevator all day. Yeah, it'd suck but at least it would be something different!

3. Velouria is my new favorite song:
For some reason it really hits me in the gut and the video is beautiful in it's simplicity.
I also love the line "we will wade in the shine of the ever." It's probably just brain vomit like most of Frank Black's lyrics, but it's damn beautiful.

4. Lindsay Ellis's Blog makes me really want to go to film school. I was thinking about studying history, but I realized that film is really what makes me happy. It's turned into an obsession, and I'm happy for it. I think you need something to be obsessed about, something that you really passionately love to get you through sometimes.
One of the main problems though, is that it takes a lot of my time. I work a ten hour shift (12 if the douchebag upper administrators decide we need it, and of course in the military you don't get paid over-time) and a movie will usually take a good two hours to watch. I get home about six, and by the time I wash up and eat and do other crap it's already eight o clock. And I'm too tired to concentrate. If I do put one in, it'll be ten o clock by the time it's done which means that I have about an hour to get ready for bed. On a regular night I usually end up staying up late anyways because there's always something else I want to do. So I binge on weekends to make up for the lost week. I can usually get five movies in those two days if I ignore trying to have a social life. So yeah, movies eat up a lot of time.
Plus no one else seems to share my obsession (or love of trash films and b-movies) so I usually end up watching them alone. It's not a big deal though, if the movie is good enough I can escape into it's world for a bit and forget that I'm spending another weekend at home drinking cheap wine by myself. If it's bad enough then I can laugh and not feel so shitty anyways.

I'm done rambling. Oh yeah, today I imagined that I was sitting in an old mossy graveyard in the woods somewhere. It was divine, the sun was shining and the sky was a beautiful shade of blue through the trees. The gravestones were crumbled and broken but you could still read some of the dates and names. I forgot how good it feels to escape like that.

And for all of you that have seen Shutter Island...is it any good? I was thinking of going out to see it this weekend. The trailer makes it look really cliche.

2 comments:

Justin said...

"You wanna do what?, you wanna do what?
I told you what, I told you what
You wanna do what?, you wanna do what?
I told you what, I told you what

Go t'school, go t'school
Go t'school, go t'school
Just cain't, just cain't
Just cain't, just cain't
Dropout, dropout, dropout, dropout

Cain't get a job, cain't get a job
Don't know what it, don't know what it
What it's all about, what it's all about
You told her you love her so bring her to mother
You love her, adapt her, you love her, adapt her
Adapt her, adapter, adapt her, adapter
'n' what about after that
what about after that" -Beefheart

Yep, life is boring. People try to avoid thinking it is though. Who can blame them?

Oh, and I would recommend Shutter Island to anyone who pays attention to EVERYTHING in a movie and doesn't take it like a sedative, expecting to not be forced to think. I didn't think it was very formulaic. That's why half the audience at the theater I went to didn't like it. I recommend it to you.

Kurdt said...

"Paranoia, paranoia
Everybody's comin' to get me
Just say you never met me
I'm runnin' underground with the moles
Diggin' holes
Hear the voices in my head
I swear to God it sounds like they're snoring
But if you're bored then you're boring
The agony and the irony, they're killing me..."
Harvey Danger - Flagpole Sitta

Even Jhonen Vasquez said on his Twitter that he like Shutter Island. It's playing here Sunday night. I might give it a wright up if I really dig it.