Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My Kinda Musics

To make up for my last whiny emo-tastic post I stole an idea from Spitter's Lair and Spum-Blog and decided to post up some of my favorite musics with Youtube videos.

I'll start with Pixies since I ended with them last post.

Pixies - Debaser

This is the only band I know that would write a song about Un chien andalou. The video and the song also offer a frightening glimpse into Frank Black's head.

The Talking Heads are one of my very favorite bands and they had some pretty sweet music videos. Here's two that I've watched way too much.

Talking Heads - Road to Nowhere


Talking Heads - Blind


Most people know Devo from their one hit "Whip It" but they had and still have a sizable cult following and were one of Kurt Cobain's favorite bands. (Nirvana even did a cover of Turnaround that got released on Incesticide). Here's a really early video. We're all devo!

Devo - Jocko Homo


Ween - Transdermal Celebration (Video by Adam Phillips)

If you haven't seen any of Mr. Phillips amazing work then go right now to his website and see some of the best flash animation ever created, hands down.

Squirrel Nut Zippers - Ghost of Stephen Foster

Squirrel Nut Zippers were a great band that got thrown away after the short lived swing music revival died a painful death. I love this video though, check out the Cab Calloway impersonation at the beginning!

Three songs by Leadbelly (the only footage of him known to exist)

Leadbelly claimed that he could sing, fight, fuck, drink, and play guitar better than any man alive. I don't think I'd want to challenge him on that, he got put in jail quite a few times for killing and almost killing people.

Jerry Lee Lewis - Whole Lotta Shakin' Going on

They called him The Killer because he'd almost destroy his piano every time he played. Jerry Lee was the original punk rocker. Watch that hair fly!

Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode

It all comes back to here, without Chuck Berry there'd be no rock and roll as we know it. Everyone who calls Elvis "the king of rock" has no idea, Chuck is the real deal.

XTC - Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead

XTC is one of the best bands that almost no one knows about. All of their stuff is amazing but their fame never really spread beyond a devoted cult following.

and last but not least The Pogues and the best song ever about the joys of getting smashed.

Pogues - Streams of Whiskey


Well that was fun, hooray for music! Be happy or not!

3 comments:

Justin said...

Lead Belly was great!

Anonymous said...

God bless Leadbelly.

Nuttin' on Robert Johnson? I'm shocked AND appalled!

Oh, and I've been working on two characters lately, if you haven't checked out my blog. I did some character designs for one of 'em. Check 'em out!

Kurdt said...

Well I plan on doing this again sometime soon so I'll hit up Mr. Johnson, but for now I believe I will dust my broom...
And check out your sketches Spumkin.